Stock Photo - Blackfriars Bridge and St Paul's from Somerset House – Blackfriars was originally designed by Robert Mylne, and built between 1760 and 1769. Its nine arches were constructed from Portland stone, creating an imposing yet majestic link between Blackfriars and Southwark. The influence of Piranesi, with whom Mylne had spent much time in Rome, was clearly visible. The bridge cost £230,000 to build, a figure largley raised through fines that had accumulated from men refusing the office of Sheriff. Although officially known as William Pitt Bridge, it was always commonly known as Blackfriars Bridge. In 1780, during the Gordon Riots, a protes against the repeal of anti-Catholic legislation which got out of hand, a group of rioters broke down the toll gates of the bridge and stole the toll money. The bridge was eventually freed from tolls in 1785, and was replaced between 1860 and 1869 by the present structure, designed by Joseph Cubit and H. Carr.

Stock Photo: Blackfriars Bridge and St Paul's from Somerset House – Blackfriars was originally designed by Robert Mylne, and built between 1760 and 1769.

Searchable keywords

Choose multiple keywords