Stock Photo - Marshall Point Light Station was established in 1832 to assist boats entering and leaving Port Clyde Harbor The original lighthouse was a 20-foot 6 1 m tower lit by seven lard oil lamps with 14-inch reflectors The original tower was replaced with the present lighthouse in 1857 The lighthouse is a 31-foot 9 4 m tall white brick tower on a granite foundation The tower was originally lit with a 5th order Fresnel lens A raised wooden walkway connects the tower to land In 1895, the original keeper´s house was destroyed by lightning A Colonial Revival style house was built to replace it An oil house and a bell tower with a 1,000-pound 450 kg bell were added in 1898 The bell was replaced with a fog horn in 1969 Early photo The lighthouse was automated in 1980 and the original Fresnel lens was replaced with a modern 300 mm optic The original lens is at the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland In 1986, the St George Historical Society restored the keeper´s house and established the Marshall Point Lighthouse Museum there, presenting the histories of Marshall Point Light and other nearby lighthouses The light station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988

Stock Photo: Marshall Point Light Station was established in 1832 to assist boats entering and leaving Port Clyde Harbor  The original lighthouse was a 20-foot 6 1 m tower.

Searchable keywords

Choose multiple keywords